*Guest Blog Post
You must have already heard of Himalayan salt lamp, the latest trend among people that is indeed becoming increasingly popular. If you are wondering whether the Himalayan salt lamp is actually of any good or beneficial for your health and not just a mere decoration for your house then keep reading to find out more details on it!
To start with, before diving into the topic of the actual benefits of Himalayan salt lamps let’s first get an idea of what they are and how they are made.
The basis of these lamps, that is Himalayan sea salt is said to be comprised of the dried remnants of the primal sea that dates back to the very creation of the Earth. This might be half-true, half mythical but still sounds promising, doesn’t it? In both cases, the real fact is that Himalayan salt lamps are made of the pink Himalayan salt and people buy them so much not because they look very pretty when lit in the night-time but rather because they believe in the beneficial power of these lamps from a number of aspects.
So let’s get a closer look at the making process of these lamps.
Himalayan Salt Lamps – Mystery Revealed
Himalayan salt lamps are hand carved from solid Himalayan sea salt in the deep underground mines of Khewra, Pakistan. The latter is located on the western side of the Himalayan mountains which are the only natural source of genuine Himalayan pink salt. So what makes a solid salt into a lamp – when the salt block is hand-carved, it gets a deep hollowed-out place in its centre where a light-bulb is put making the salt into a beautiful lamp.
As for the colour of the lamps, it varies from light pink to orange depending on the mineral concentration. The lamps are themselves a good way of relaxation because just looking at light they emit can be very soothing and calming.
At this point it should also be mentioned that salt has a hygroscopic character i.e. it “catches the attention” of water molecules. The latter feature is attributed to Himalayan salt lamps too. So, it’s believed that as soon as the water molecules get in touch with the salt lamp, such pollutants as bacteria, mold and allergens get trapped in the salt. The cycle of attracting this water vapor continues due to the fact that lamp is heated which results in the drying of the salt.
Though there are no factual and scientific studies proving the beneficial character of Himalayan salt lamps, still, given the many other studies carried out on the health benefits of salt as well as the greatly positive feedback from the consumers we can freely assume that a Himalayan salt lamp does come with some really essential benefits.
Himalayan Salt Lamp Benefits
So, let’s now see what health and other benefits you’ll gain if you purchase a real Himalayan salt lamp:
- Cleaner Air: This is probably one of the main reasons why people want to have a Himalayan salt lamp at their houses. Of course, you might say there are plants for that purpose but some people can be allergic to plants or simply too busy to take care of them, and if there is another, again a natural way of purifying the air in your house, why not use it? Himalayan salt lamps are able to keep the air at your place clean due to the water vapor character described above.
- The Best Night Light You Can Ever Have: What’s better than having a natural light at your house during the night-time. The blue light that all these computers and smart-phones emit can be very harmful for the sight and will surely decrease your motivation to work better at the same time reducing your concentration power. On the contrary, Himalayan salt lamps emit a pleasant and warm pinkish orange glow that’s quite close to the colour of candlelight or campfire hence is incredibly soothing and relaxing. Having a Himalayan salt lamp by your desk or bed will decrease the stress of the daily routine thus motivating you for the new day.
- Negative Ions: The modern technology era, with all its benefits, has also a great number of disadvantages among which is the fact that cities have now become real bunkers of positive ions that affect our physical and mental health badly. Nature is the main source of negative ions that increases the flow of oxygen into the human brain leading to decreased drowsiness and higher mental and physical energy, in other words, the feeling you have when breathing the fresh air of mountains or seas and oceans. In the city or at your house where you are surrounded with tablets, phones, laptops and TVs it’s hard to experience this feeling due to the lack of negative ions but you could have a very small amount of them if you got a Himalayan salt lamp. They do generate negative ions, though in very small amounts. In any case, it’s better than nothing and you can at least be sure that due to their light you will have the soothing feeling of nature at your house.
- Reduction in the Symptoms of Asthma and Allergy: Many users of Himalayan salt lamps have proved this fact. The lamps do have the power of making the life of people suffering from asthma and allergies easier. Above all, Himalayan salt is used in inhalers and there are a number of salt therapies against asthma and allergies, or for a better health gain. Keep a Himalayan salt lamp in a place at your house you spend time most or at your office, if possible and you’ll see the positive results soon.
Other benefits of Himalayan salt lamps include the following:
- Less colds and flu
- Less stress and anxiety
- Better concentration ability
- Motivation to work/study longer hours
- Decrease in headaches and migraines
- Decrease in the symptoms of rheumatism and arthritis
- Improvement in skin diseases
- A good source of sound sleep
Everything that is natural, is surely of some benefit to your mind and body. Choose the right and genuine Himalayan salt lamp and keep it at your house or office – it will give you both an aesthetic pleasure and an incredible amount of health benefits that will surpass all your expectations!
Did you enjoy this article? Sign up now to keep informed of new stories from SpookyMrsGreen.
*Article contains affiliate links
We were given one of these as a wedding gift many years ago. No idea if we can attest to the benefits but it does emit a very nice glow!
Well, if you find yourself gazing at it for a few moments, then I think it is working – that hypnotic glow will calm your racing mind and slow down your body!