#AtoZChallenge A is for Authorpreneur

Hello and welcome to the #AtoZChallenge 2016. Blimey, the year has flown by yet again! This year I have decided to focus my A to Z blog challenge on everything that makes up SpookyMrsGreen. I will reveal some insights about me, Catherine Green, I will share aspects of my personality, and interests and pursuits that all come together to form this magnificent blog that we see today.

AtoZ Badge A

My word for the letter A is Authorpreneur. It is a word I have picked up during my adventures in becoming a published author. Back in the early days of my professional writing career, I was so excited to have finally been published, that I neglected to research the real implications of our industry. An actual publishing company liked my books enough to want to publish me, and I was ecstatic! I was also incredibly naive. During the years that followed, I have explored lots of avenues in creative writing, freelance writing, and how I can earn real money doing what I love.

#SMG Business Cards + RN Books

It is not easy, let me tell you. I have learned many hard lessons in the past six years, and I am still learning more every day. My income falls way short of anything that can be called a living wage, and I am very lucky to have a husband with a steady, full-time job that supports us both. It is not enough, and so I simply cannot sit at home writing my novels and short stories. I have to diversify. I have to monetise my websites, approach potential clients, and do all manner of things that I previously knew nothing about. It is very much a work in progress, but it finally seems to be progressing in the right way. See you tomorrow, for the next letter in the #AtoZChallenge.

Advertisements

About SpookyMrsGreen

Catherine Green: The Pagan Housewife. Join my tribe, and I will send you a fabulous FREE book from my Redcliffe novels British paranormal series! http://eepurl.com/b7HHVn
This entry was posted in #AtoZChallenge, A-Z Blog Challenge, advertising, author, author advice, book, book promotion, book sale, books, local author, novel writing, Random Musings, short story writing, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to #AtoZChallenge A is for Authorpreneur

1. Astrid says:

I totally understand your initial excitement about a compay wanting to publish your work. I got my first piece published in an anthology (it’s non-fiction) last summer and I was over the moon. I do understand you like to monetize your work, although for me being on disability benefits, it might hurt more than it’d help if I ever monetized anything I do.

• Thanks for visiting my blog! Yes, I maintain that to become a published author is still wonderfully exhilarating and I love my job, but just once I would like to be paid a living wage at least…

I don’t receive any state benefits aside from standard child allowance, so I have to earn money somewhere if we are to have a family holiday at some point. Fortunately my husband can cover all of the essential household costs with his wage.

2. Joyful2bee says:

Glad you posted first on the challenge. I was going to choose a new topic for each letter but I think they want one topic with subtitles referring to the main topic. I like your idea of topics about what makes you you. Thanks for starting the ball rolling!

3. I love that word – authorpreneur.
    The publishing industry is such a fickle beast. It changes all the time.
    What’s in today, may be out tomorrow.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    Writer In Transit

4. Very Nice Post…

Welcome in the letter “A”… thank you!
    Jeremy [Retro]
    AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2016]

Stop over and find a free “SIX STRINGS: BLOGGING AtoZ CHALLENGE” Here: http://www.jmhdigital.com/

HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
    You know you want to know if me or Hollywood… is Nuts?

5. Liz Brownlee says:

Isn’t it funny that the average person thinks a published author must be rich? I know lots of WELL published authors and hardly any of them can afford to just write. But there is a lot to be said for working too – being in the real world and hearing about real lives and conversations etc. Being a poet of course is even worse, money-wise! ~Liz A-Z http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

6. Beverly says:

Being a published author is exciting and fun, but I learned a long time ago that it wouldn’t pay all my bills. For some writers it does. I still love writing and am thankful I have another income. Great post. So nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping by my blog. http://beverlystowemcclure.blogspot.com

7. Kim Cleary says:

I’m looking forward to your series in this a-z challenge 🙂

8. heatherjacksonwrites says:

Authorpreneur is an excellent word! And very accurate. Good luck with piecing together a living. I’m doing the same thing over here across the pond.

@HeatherJacksonW from