Deep Relief launches Be Prepared campaign to help Brits keep their joints healthy, active, and moving
Almost nine in 10 Brits (88%) are thinking about how to look after their future joint health but many are barking up the wrong tree when it comes to the detail.
A new poll carried out for Deep Relief – the topical pain specialists – reveals that more than a third (35%) wrongly blame aches and pains on eating junk foods, while a fifth (19%) mistakenly pinpoint a sweet tooth as the cause.
Around one in ten say joint pain is due to drinking coffee or wearing clothes that are too tight – factors that are unlikely to be the reason.
GP and advisor to topical pain specialists, Deep Relief, Dr Gill Jenkins says: “The top reasons for joint pain – those we can do something about – are being overweight, having a sedentary lifestyle or poor posture. Wearing unsupportive shoes doesn’t help either but some of the ideas that people have about their joint health certainly don’t ring true.
“Junk foods and sugar are not recommended for a healthy diet but don’t directly impact on joint health, except perhaps by promoting weight gain. As for coffee and tight clothes, these are harmless.
“With signs of Spring all around, people are understandably thinking about getting their bodies into shape for summer holidays and more revealing clothes. This is a popular time of year for taking up active hobbies and we don’t want creaky joints holding us back.
“That’s why Deep Relief has launched a new Be Prepared campaign to help people get on top of joint aches – with diet, stretching and self-care – before they dig out their lycra, golf clubs or jogging shoes.”
A change of direction is clearly needed as the new survey found more than six in 10 (65%) British adults have experienced joint pain, four in ten (44%) have restricted movement and nearly a third (27%) have swelling of the finger joints. Half said aches and pains were their biggest concern about getting older.
Dr Gill Jenkins adds: “Sore joints can hold back our effects to get fit and create a vicious cycle – we ache and feel tired so don’t move around as much. This means we stiffen up and are less likely to feel like exercising. It’s important to break this cycle and Be Prepared for getting active and keeping our joints moving, healthy and fit.”
Personal trainer, Chris Ruxton from Deep Relief has three top tips for getting our joints moving:
1. Start small; be consistent – daily walking for 30-60 minutes several times a week is a better start than suddenly launching into an afternoon of gardening or a Zumba class. Once you’ve established the basics of movement for 6-8 weeks, build up to more strenuous activities.
2. Get on top of joint aches early – joints rarely recover spontaneously so try topical self-care with Deep Relief Anti-inflammatory Gel and Deep Relief Joint Pain Gel. Both contain a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID) and offer an effective, evidence backed, targeted pain and inflammation relief alternative to oral pain-killers. Their unique formulation combines ibuprofen and levomenthol to provide powerful pain and inflammation relief where you need it most. And if you want to soothe joint challenges on the go or at night, try the new drug-free Deep Relief Actiflex Patch. This patch uses the very latest hydrogel technology to provide up to 12 hours soothing action, day, or night. Providing fast, cooling action these patches can be conveniently worn under clothing or while sleeping.
3. Lighten up – being overweight is one of the most important causes of joint wear and tear, and a common cause of back and knee pain. It’s never easy to lose weight so start by eating only during an 8-hour
window each day – for example 11am to 7pm – then adding key healthy eating steps, such as 5-a-day fruit and veg, wholegrains and avoiding fatty, sugary snacks. Losing a couple of kilos for life is better than a larger weight loss which you can’t sustain.
Deep Relief – The facts
Deep Relief Anti-inflammatory Gel and Deep Relief Joint Pain Gel both contain a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID) and offer an effective, evidence backed, targeted pain and inflammation relief alternative to oral pain-killers. Their unique formulation combines ibuprofen and levomenthol to provide powerful pain and inflammation relief where you need it most.
Deep Relief Anti-inflammatory Gel and Deep Relief Joint Pain Gel are the only anti-inflammatory gels in the UK which contain the two painkilling ingredients Ibuprofen and Levomenthol. As a result the ingredients in both the Deep Relief Gel formats have a triple-action formula where Levomenthol works to quickly cool and soothe the pain, while ibuprofen gets to work to reduce pain and inflammation. More on the ingredient science below.
Deep Relief Anti-inflammatory Gel is recommended for the effective relief from back pain, rheumatic pain, muscular aches, pains, and swellings such as strains, sprains, and sport injuries. Deep Relief Joint Pain Gel is additionally recommended for non-serious arthritic conditions.
Deep Relief: The Science
Deep Relief is formulated in an aqueous gel, which adds to the soothing and cooling effect when applied to the affected area. It contains levomenthol and ibuprofen – in a topical, gel format. Levomenthol induces tingling and cooling sensations when applied topically, conferring pain relief through its ability to bind to TRPM8 receptors which produce blocking actions. Activation of TRMP8 receptors increases nitric oxide production resulting in localised increased blood flow. Menthol also binds kappa-opioid receptors and thus may confer an additional analgesic effect.
1. TRPM8 – known in the world of science as: transient receptor potential cation channel subfamily M (melastatin) member 8 (TRPM8), also known as the cold and menthol receptor 1 (CMR1), is a protein that in humans is encoded by the TRPM8 gene.
2. Opioid analgesics can act through three different types of opioid receptors, called mu, delta, and kappa. … Such compounds, Kappa Opioid Receptor Agonists (KORAs), are thought to have the potential to provide pain relief (peripheral opioid analgesia) without producing significant side effects.
Topical ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory non-digested drug (NSAID), which has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties without ingestion. The formulation exerts its effects directly on inflamed tissues underlying the site of application, mainly by inhibiting prostaglandin synthesis. Plus, topical ibuprofen is clinically proven to be as effective as 400mg oral ibuprofen for joint and muscle pain.
FACT: The prostaglandins are a group of lipids made at sites of tissue damage or infection that are involved in dealing with injury and illness. They control processes such as inflammation, blood flow, the formation of blood clots and the induction of labour.
The gel formulation penetrates through the skin rapidly, achieving high, therapeutically relevant local concentrations in underlying soft tissues, muscles, and joints. While it is absorbed into the blood, levels are unlikely to be sufficient to cause any systemic side effects, other than in rare individuals who are hypersensitive.
Deep Relief: A product A-Z
|Deep Relief Anti-inflammatory Gel||Penetrating Pain Relief 1.Anti-inflammatory 2.Fast Cooling 3.Ideal for those who need powerful pain and inflammation relief for the back, muscles, or rheumatism.||For the effective relief from back pain, rheumatic pain, muscular aches, pains, and swellings such as strains, sprains, and sport injuries.|
|Deep Relief Joint Pain Gel||1.Effective relief of pain associated with non-serious arthritic conditions 2.Reduces pain and inflammation||For the effective relief from non-serious arthritic conditions and rheumatic pain, as well as other conditions such as muscular aches, pains, and swellings such as strains, sprains, and sport injuries, plus back pain.|
|NEW Deep Relief Actiflex Patch||1.Hydrogel technology provides targeted cooling and soothing relief 2.non-medicated, complementary therapy designed to get you through day or night 3.Conveniently worn under clothing or while sleeping, for up to 12 hours 4.Fast and long lasting with targeted application and ideal for shoulders, hips, elbows, knees, wrists, and ankles||Using the very latest patch innovation technology, Deep Relief Actiflex Patch provides fast relief to discomfort in the joints such as knees, shoulders, hips, wrists, elbows, and ankles. Thanks to a flexible fit, the Deep Relief Actiflex Patch can be applied to most joint areas|
Did you enjoy this article? Sign up now to keep informed of new stories from SpookyMrsGreen.
*Article contains affiliate links
 Survey of 1000 British adults carried out April 2022 by independent polling company, Perspectus Global
 Ma et al., “Menthol Derivative Ws-12 Selectively Activates Transient Receptor Potential Melastatin-8 (Trpm8) Ion Channels.”